Check out our NEW favorite book! Pure Vanilla celebrates its unique taste with a stunning array of recipes, from cakes and cookies to custards and creams. Indulge in Glazed Vanilla Bean Doughnuts, Vanilla Cloud Cake, and Vanilla Bean Meringue Kisses and Sea Salt Caramels. With a complete history of vanilla from orchid to extract, Pure Vanilla provides the origins and tasting notes of all of today’s varieties – plus 80 recipes and dozens of photographs. Doesn’t it make you hungry?!?
Big Mama Vanilla Cheesecake Recipe “Excerpted from Pure Vanilla: Irresistible Recipes and Essential Techniques by Shauna Sever. Reprinted with permission from Quirk Books.” If you’re looking for a show-stopping cheesecake recipe, look no further. This one features a sweet and salty crust made with vanilla wafers rather than predictable graham crackers.
Serves 10 to 12
For the Crust:
– 1 batch Vanilla Snaps or 8 ounces of store-bought vanilla wafers (about 50 wafers)
– 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
– 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
– ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract – see below
– ¼ teaspoon salt
For The Filling:
– 3 pounds (6 8-ounce packages) cream cheese at room temperature
– 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
– 5 large eggs
– 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
– 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract – see below
– 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste – see below
For The Topping:
– 2 cups of sour cream
– 1/3 cup granulated sugar
– 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
– 2 teaspoons pure pure vanilla extract – see below
1. If you are looking for a show-stopping cheesecake recipe, look no further. This one features a sweet and salty crust made with vanilla wafers rather than the predictable graham crackers. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 325ºF. Lightly spray the sides of a 10-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray (no need to spray the bottom).
2. In the bowl of a food processor, process vanilla wafers to fine crumbs. Add butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt and pulse until well mixed and evenly moistened. Pour mixture into prepared pan and press firmly along the bottom and about 2 inches up the sides of the pan. Next, make the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese until soft and smooth. Add sugar and beat until fluffy.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time. Turn off mixer and thoroughly scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add lemon juice, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean paste and beat 1 minute more. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until filling is set around the edges but still jiggles slightly in the center, 50 to 60 minutes. Place pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Leave oven on.
4. For the topping, whisk together sour cream, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Pour over cheesecake and spread with a spatula to completely cover the surface. Return pan to oven to bake for 8 to 10 minutes more, until topping is slightly firm but hasn’t taken on any color.
5. Return pan to wire rack and let cheesecake cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, until cheesecake is set, before removing from pan and serving.
6. This beauty must chill in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours before serving but boy is it worth it!
A World Class Vanilla, this delicious, premium Pure Vanilla Extract is extracted exclusively from Madagascar vanilla beans. and is simply the finest available.
Madagascar Pure Vanilla Extract Single-Fold (8 fl oz) (Classic Bourbon Vanilla taste!)
Madagascar Vanilla Pure (8 fl oz) (Triple-strength and loaded with vanilla seeds! Thicker than Vanilla Extract, the Pure has a unique natural vanilla flavor containing pure Vanilla Extractives, sugar, Vanilla Seeds and xanthan gum (a natural thickener). It is triple the strength of the Single-Fold Vanilla Extract and has a thick, yet pourable consistency and is loaded with Vanilla Seeds to add visual appeal to your baked goods, dairy products or other foods.)
Madagascar Grade A Vanilla Beans 5-Bean Sampler (True gourmet-grade A beans, beautiful, plump, and moist. These are true gourmet-grade beans that are perfect for slicing and scraping out lots of that delectable vanilla caviar to use in your creations!)