Bake up beautiful butterfly treats fit for a fancy afternoon tea party! Our Butterfly Wafer Paper and Butterfly Cupcake Wrappers were featured in TeaTime Magazine!
Vanilla Cupcakes with Salted Browned Butter Frosting
- – ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- – ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- – 3 large eggs
- – 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- – ½ teaspoon butter extract
- – 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- – 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- – ¼ teaspoon salt
- – ¼ cup whole milk
- – 1 recipe Salted Browned Butter Frosting (recipe follows)
- – Garnish: butterfly cupcake wrappers and edible wafer paper butterflies
- Preheat oven to 350°.2.
- Line a 12-well muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat at high speed with a mixer until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract and butter extract, beating until incorporated.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined.
- Divide batter among wells of prepared pan. Tap pan on counter-top to level batter and reduce air bubbles.
- Bake cupcakes until a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 17 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire cooling rack.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and place in decorative cupcake wrappers, if desired.
- Place Salted Browned Butter Frosting in a piping bag fitted with large open-star tip (Wilton 1M), and pipe a decorative swirl on top of cupcakes.
- Garnish each cupcake with an edible wafer paper butterfly, if desired.
Salted Browned Butter Frosting
- – 1½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- – 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- – 2 vanilla bean pods, split, scraped, and seeds reserved
- – 1½ teaspoons fine sea salt*
- – 2½ tablespoons whole milk
- – 2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat until it foams. Using a rubber spatula, scrape bottom of pan to keep butter from burning so butter will brown evenly. (Lower heat, if necessary.) Let butter foam a second time. Stir, watching carefully so butter does not burn, until butter is a deep golden yellow and has a nutty aroma.
- Transfer browned butter to a heatproof bowl, and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until butter becomes solid but soft enough to cream in a mixer.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat chilled browned butter with a mixer at medium speed, approximately 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, beating at low speed until fluffy. Add reserved vanilla bean seeds and salt to butter mixture, beating to combine. Add milk and cream, beating at high speed until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Use immediately.
Photos & Recipe From TeaTime, July/August 2017
Click here for more recipes from Butterfly Tea – TeaTime Magazine!
How To Make Wafer Paper Butterflies
Learn how to make 3D Wafer Paper Butterflies for topping your cookies, cakes and cupcakes!
- – Butterfly Wafer Paper
- – Edible Clear Writing Gel
- – Pixie Dust
- – Small Craft Scissors
- – 2½ tablespoons whole milk
- – Empty Egg Carton
- – Paint Brushes
- Wafer paper butterflies will work on a variety of baked goods. Wafer paper butterflies can be attached to royal icing, fondant, and buttercream surfaces.
- Let your icing dry completely. (When using royal icing or buttercream.)
- Carefully cut out wafer paper butterflies using craft scissors. Be careful, wafer paper is fragile!
- Spread a thin layer of edible clear writing gel or Karo Light Corn Syrup onto the printed side of the wafer paper butterfly and slightly fold in the center, so the wings are bent up. Place each butterfly in a section of the egg carton so wings will dry standing up.
- Add shimmer to the butterflies by dusting with a small amount of Pixie Dust using a small paintbrush. Let butterflies completely dry in egg carton.
- Adhere butterflies by using a dab of edible clear gel on the underside of the body of the butterfly and attaching to the cookie, cake or cupcakes. Hold in place for a minute or so, then let completely dry.
To view & shop our entire collection of Wafer Paper Butterflies click here!