• Use No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe and cut out several crinkle square cookie shapes. Bake and cool as directed.
• Ice each cookie with 1 layer of royal icing or buttercream, if you prefer. Let completely dry.
• Carefully cut out wafer paper butterflies using craft scissors, making sure each one will fit on the cookie. Be careful, wafer paper is fragile!
• Spread a thin layer of edible clear gel onto the wafer paper butterfly and slightly fold in the center, so the wings are bent up. Place each butterfly in a section of the egg carton so that the wings will dry standing up.
• Add shimmer to the butterflies by dusting with a small amount of Gold Luster Dust or White Edible Glitter. Let butterflies completely dry in egg carton.
• Adhere butterflies to cookies by using a dab of edible clear gel on the underside of the body of the butterfly and attaching to cookie. Hold in place for a minute before drying on its own. Let dry completely.
• Add additional decorations, such as Black Sugar Pearls, to complete the cookie design.
• Let completely dry and store in an airtight container.
With a little luck of the Irish and some basic baking skills, these shimmering, shamrock-clad wafer paper cookies are a cinch! Take a look at some of our HOW-TO guides for tips and tricks for working with wafer paper. These little cookies are made with our Rectangle 3″ x 2″ Cookie Cutter, which fits these 1.5″ x 2.3″ designs perfectly. We added a little extra pizazz with a dusting of edible glitter (I mean, why not?!) and disco dust after the wafer paper dried. The best part is packaging for these adorable treats. New this year are the vintage St. Patrick’s Day boxes below that fit these small rectangular cookies like a dream. Boxes are sold in sets of 6 varying designs that measure about 3.25″ x 2.25″ x 1″ each. A great gift idea or table favor to go along with a shepherd’s pie and corned beef and cabbage dinner. Spread some green St. Patrick’s Day cheer with homemade treats this year!
1. Cut out the cookies and bake according to the recipe.
2. Once cooled, you can either cover the cookie in rolled fondant or icing.
For rolled fondant: Roll out the fondant to the shape of the cookie. Using the cookie cutter, press into the fondant to cut out the shapes of the exterior and interior designs of the snowflake. You can attach the fondant to the cookie using either Karo Corn Syrup (found in the baking aisle at your local grocery store) or our clear writing gel.
For icing: We recommend using Royal Icing and cover the cookie. Allow to harden.
3. Now you can attach the edible pearls in any design you desire. Attaching the pearls is made easier with our new Angled Tweezers that allow you to pick up and place the pearls in exactly the position you want them. Apply a small dot of Clear Writing Gel to the pearl and then place onto the cookie in the desired position. Allow to dry for 2-4 hours in a flat position.
Celebrate America’s birthday with a stunning batch of sugar cookies complete with patriotic wafer paper designs. If you haven’t tried wafer paper – don’t worry – it is easy to use and you get great results. View our complete how-to guide for these mini wafer paper cookies. You can also try using edible glitter to give the cookies a little bit more shine.