I have a tendency to go overboard for parties. It’s a habit all the women in my family share. Everything just has to have a special touch. Tell me to bring rolls to an event and I’ll butter them up, top them with cheese and herbs and display them on a nice plate. Oh cupcakes? Sure let me just find matching liners and picks for the theme of the evening. With summer coming up, I’m already thinking of fun ideas for our outdoor gatherings – beach, cabin, Fourth of July and, of course, your ordinary barbeque.
The only hitch with Montana summers is the temperature. Hundred degree days don’t make for happy baking. So when trying to think of a unique cake for a picnic or barbeque that wouldn’t require an oven, I immediately thought of ice cream cake! What could be simpler? You can either buy one from the store or make the quick and easy recipe illustrated below with any flavor you desire.
Ok, now you’re wondering, “What’s so unique about an ice cream cake?” Well, not much until you add a cute chocolate picnic blanket and ants on top! A couple bars of white chocolate, a Red Gingham Chocolate Transfer Sheet, decorative ants, a touch of frosting and half an hour are all it takes to make your cake something for the books. Even the kids can help stir, mash and spread so the whole family can create something fun and delicious.
Let’s get started!
Ice Cream Cake
1 half gallon ice cream of your choice (I chose mint for the refreshing taste)
1 small container of fudge or caramel topping
5 TBSP unsalted butter
8” square cake pan
Medium bowl, microwave safe
Spoon, knife and fork
Ice cream scoop
Melt butter in one of your bowls.
Add Oreo cookies to bowl. You can break them apart now for quicker mashing or leave them whole. You do not need to remove the frosting in the middle.
Mash Oreos and butter together with potato masher until it’s a mass of small crumbs.
Dump Oreo mixture into your cake pan and press into the bottom with a fork to form the crust. Chill if not using immediately.
Scoop and press ice cream into your cake pan until it is half full.
Spoon fudge or caramel topping over pressed ice cream. The back of the spoon is handy for spreading.
Scoop and press ice cream into your cake pan until it reaches the top.
Freeze until you’re ready to top!
Picnic Blanket Topper
2 Large bars white baking chocolate
Red Gingham Chocolate Transfer Sheet (find it here)
Place transfer sheet slippery side up on wax or parchment paper. Measure and draw lines with your marker for an 8” by 8” square section.
Flip transfer sheet over so chocolate side is up. Leave on flat surface or in a cookie sheet for easy transport.
Melt chocolate in microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted and about 115 degrees Fahrenheit. This will usually be less than 2 minutes.
Pour melted chocolate into the measured section of the transfer sheet and lightly spread into a thin layer. It is ok to go over the lines.
Cool melted chocolate and sheet in the refrigerator until solid – 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove sheet from fridge and place on flat surface (or leave in cookie sheet). Use the knife to cut along your marked edges to square up the edges. Warming the knife under hot water will help create clean lines.
Place your “blanket” on top of your ice cream cake and use frosting or dots of melted chocolate to attach your ants.
Pipe an edge of “grass” and you’re done!
Make your ice cream cake while the melted chocolate cools over your transfer sheet to save 15 minutes.
In a big rush? Buy a pre-made ice cream cake and cut your transfer sheet to size. This could work for round cakes too!
Save some hassle by buying a pre-made Oreo cookie crust in the baking section of your grocery store.
Oops! If you crack the chocolate when cutting, leave the chocolate transfer sheet-side down and rub a warmed spoon over the crack until it melts together. Re-chill to solidify before placing on your cake.
You can store the cake safely in the freezer (ants and all)!
1. Little Blue Flower Cupcakes – These cupcakes are full of color and cheer, plus they are super easy! Just bake your favorite cupcake recipe in these Flower Foil Cupcake Liners and decorate with bright purple buttercream frosting topped with a Small Blue Royal Icing Flower!
3. Daffodil Cupcakes – Nothing says Spring quite like a daffodil and these cupcakes! Just bake your favorite cupcake recipe in these Blue Gingham Cupcake Liners and decorate with orange buttercream frosting topped with a pretty Daffodil Icing!
5. DIY Spring Flower Sugar Cubes – Royal Icing Flower topped sugar cubes…drop one in and watch the flower float to the top as sugar cube melts. It will brighten your morning or put a smile on your guest’s face at your next brunch. Get the tutorial HERE.
6. Butterfly Cookies – Learn how to make and decorate butterfly cookies using the marbling and wet-on-wet icing techniques. Get the tutorial HERE.
7. Bright Daisy Treats – An easy way to brighten up any store bought treat is to top them with our Bright Sugar Daisies! Decorating idea from Lucks.com.
9. Hard Candy Lollipops With Edible Flowers – Update this old-fashioned favorite with edible flowers for a fresh spring treat. You can flavor to suit your taste , but you will need clear lollipops to showcase the flowers. Make sure you have an accurate candy thermometer for this recipe because the sugar temperature is critical! Get the tutorial HERE.
Thank you for participating in our Spring Pin & Win Contest! We hope that you enjoyed it and found some great Spring inspiration.
– 1st place – $100 Fancy Flours gift certificate – Goes to Jacqueline Griffin!
Check out her lovely Spring/Easter themed board HERE.
– 2nd place – $50 Fancy Flours gift certificate – Goes to Bea Witched!
Check out her fun Spring Bee themed board HERE.
– 3rd place – $25 Fancy Flours gift certificate – Goes to Lisbeth Krause!
Check out her lovely mix of modern and vintage Spring pins HERE.
*Boards were judged on originality, creativity, product variety and adherence to the guidelines.
Here is a sneak peek at our Spring 2013 catalog. *NOTE: Not all of the items are in stock just yet, but will be soon. If you see something in the catalog you like that is currently out of stock, you can opt to be notified by email when it becomes available. Printed catalogs will be in homes around Feb. 25th! This catalog features over 100 new products to help you with your Spring celebrations. Including products for Easter, Mother’s Day, Spring Parties, Derby Day, Birthdays and much much more!
Just a few more days are left in our Spring Sale! Use coupon code: spring25 to take advantage of 25% off select spring and Easter products. Please remember to use the coupon at checkout! The sale is going on now through Saturday. Stock up on cookie cutters, cupcake liners and boxes, mixes, royal icing decorations, chocolate transfer sheets and so much more – over 150 items on sale! Click HERE to browse all of our special Spring and Easter sale items. Discount is only reflected after entering coupon at checkout.