You Will Need:
– All Hues Butterflies Wafer Paper Set
– Edible Clear Writing Gel
– Small craft scissors
– Your favorite cake recipe
– Your favorite frosting recipe
– Decorating Tip Set
– Pastry Bag
– Offset Icing Spatula
– Tiered Cake Pans 6″, 9″ and 12″ will work great
– 3-5 empty egg cartons
1. Bake and cool cakes as directed. Frost cakes using offset spatula and pastry bag, if needed. Set cakes aside.
2. Carefully cut out wafer paper butterflies using craft scissors. Wafer paper is very fragile!
3. Spread a thin layer of edible clear gel onto each butterfly and carefully fold slightly in the middle. Let dry in egg carton, so wings will dry sticking up. Repeat with all butterfly shapes, or as many as you want for your cake.
4. Stack cake using cake boards or other cake stands.
5. Carefully affix butterflies to frosted cake with a dab of edible clear gel. Hold in place for a minute to ensure butterfly sticks to cake. Press into icing slightly, if necessary.
Make matching cookies also! Click HERE to get the how-to for the pretty butterfly cookies.
Wedding season has arrived! Looking for a unique idea to share with your guests? Look no farther than simply delicious sugar cookies with a delicate filigree wafer paper design. Instructions are noted below as well as on our website fancyflours.com.
– Royal Icing Mix (SKU: 6750-IC-RI-1)
– Plastic squeeze bottle (SKU: 160000018-1) or decorating bag w/#4 tip
– Gold Filigree Edible Wafer paper (SKU: 3601-WP-GFS-1)
– Clear Writing Gel (SKU: 9999-CK-GL-1)
– Cookie Cutter Set Round Crinkle (SKU: 160000102-1) or a similar 2.5″ fluted circle
– White Edible Glitter (SKU: 5400-GL-WH-1)
– Super Gold Luster Dust (SKU: 5320-LD-SG-1) – Small paint brush and small craft scissors – 3mm Silver Dragees (SKU: 5300-SL-MD-1) or 4mm Ivory Edible Pearls (SKU: 5300-WH-MD-1)
-Parchment paper – No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe, recommended. View online by clicking HERE.
Cut out cookies using round crinkle cookie cutters. Bake and cool your cookies. Follow the directions on the Royal Icing Mix for flow icing and let icing set-up firm. (If you would rather use buttercream, try to spread an even, level surface and, following the instructions on the wafer paper, adhere the paper before the icing has set up.)
Carefully cut our the wafer paper shapes using small craft scissors. If you are using royal icing as the base for your cookies, make sure it has set up. If you are using buttercream, apply the wafer paper to the still soft icing. Apply a thin layer of edible clear gel to the back of a wafer paper cut-out (as a glue) and then affix to the top of the iced cookie. Flip right side down onto a piece of parchment paper. Leave for 30 minutes (to ensure wafer paper dries flat). Flip back over and let completely dry. Repeat with all other cookies.
While cookies are drying, prepare luster dust. Luster dust can be applied dry or wet. The wet version gives a more brilliant shimmer. Mix a drop or two of alcohol or a non-water based liquid with the luster dust in a small bowl. Using your small craft brush, apply the luster dust to the edges of the cookies like “paint”. The dragees and crushed edible glitter are applied with a light coat of the clear writing gel as the final decorating step.
Let all completely dry and stack and store in an airtight container.
Shop fancyflours.com for the items needed in this recipe.