Create a buzz with these delicious honeycomb stained glass cookies! We used our graduated set of 9 hexagon cookie cutters, sized .75″ – 4″, melted down some yellow hard candies and attached adorable sugar bee decorations!
You will need:
- Hexagon Cutter Set
- Sugar Bee Decorations
- Royal Icing Mix or Clear Writing Gel
- Parchment Paper
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 oz hard yellow candies such as the NEW! Lemon Jolly Ranchers
1. Beat butter, sugar, honey, egg and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix well. Cover. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place dough on lightly floured surface; roll out to 1/4″ thickness. Cut into hexagon shapes with floured cookie cutters. Make an interior cut with a smaller hexagon cutter, leaving a 1/2″-3/4″ border of dough. Remove dough from center of each shape; set aside.
3. Place cookie cut-outs on parchment covered baking sheets. Shape remaining dough into ball; re-roll to make additional cutouts.
4. Crush the Lemon Jolly Ranchers between 2 layers of wax paper with mallet. Spoon crushed candy inside centers of cutouts.
5. Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until candy is melted and cookies are lightly browned. Cool cookies completely before removing from parchment.
9. Let icing/gel completely set before stacking and storing (4-6 hours or overnight)
10. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
For more bee-spiration visit http://pinterest.com/fancyflours/create-a-buzz/